*This post may contain affiliate links which means I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you if an item is purchase through that link. For more information, click here.*
There’s something magical about leprechauns! They bring out the Irish in all of us and that makes them the perfect mascot for St. Patrick’s Day. This year, why not celebrate by building your own leprechauns?
With two different versions; one colored leprechaun template and one black and white one, your kids are sure to love this fun and festive printable St. Patrick’s Day craft.
These leprechaun templates are easy to use. They’re perfect for toddlers, preschoolers, and kindergartners too. Children are fascinated by leprechauns. Here are some fun ways to incorporate this printable leprechaun into your St. Patrick’s Day celebration:
– Make a leprechaun bulletin board for your classroom! Have students decorate their own leprechauns. Older children can even write simple stories about or short descriptions of their unique character.
– Build a leprechaun at snack time while enjoying some Lucky Charms cereal or give each student their own chocolate “gold coins” to celebrate the holiday.
– Don’t just build your own leprechaun cut out; build a leprechaun trap to catch your own leprechaun! It’s a great way to build STEM skills by getting kids thinking about how they can use recycled materials to build their very own trap and catch a real live leprechaun.
– Don’t forget to read How to Catch a Leprechaun by Adam Wallace for ideas on how to catch a real leprechaun before you build your trap.
– Have children sing I’m a Little Leprechaun from Kiboomers while dancing with their little leprechaun creations.
– Older children might enjoy learning about the legend of the leprechaun. For instance, did you know the Irish say they live 300 years and have magical healing powers? Legends are a great way to begin studying world cultures and history.
If you’re not interested in decorating your own little leprechaun, you can print the full color version for an adorable party decoration. Keep scrolling to get your very own leprechaun craft templates and instructions for putting together a unique leprechaun friend with your kids.
Build-a-Leprechaun St. Patrick’s Day Craft with Free Printable Templates
With very minimal supplies, you can get this fun leprechaun S. Patrick’s day crafts started in a ‘short’ second.
- White Card Stock Paper
- Colored Pencils, Markers or Crayons
- Printable St. Patrick’s Day Leprechaun Template (FOUND AT THE BOTTOM)
So now that we have gathered all of your fun craft supplies and printed our favorite colored or blank leprechaun template, let’s get this St. Patrick’s Day craft started. The first thing you’ll do is cut out all of the leprechaun’s body parts.
If you decided on the leprechaun coloring page, color him first and then proceed with the below tutorial.
Now, it is time to start bringing out the glue. We like glue sticks because of the mess factor. However, regular school glue and tacky glue also work just as well.
Which ever glue you use, begin adhering the leprechaun’s hat to his head.
Then, dab a small amount of glue to the bottoms of his ears and glue them to the back of the head. They should slightly touch, but I don’t get too picky with the smaller kiddos on placement.
Next, comes this leprechaun’s legendary orange beard.
Since the body will be the anchor point for the beard, head and hat, you’ll need a good amount of glue on this next step.
Finally, add a line of glue at the top of your fun leprechaun’s boots and secure them to his body.
How easy was that! I hope your little ones enjoy building leprechaun friends together as much as my children did. St. Patrick’s Day is full of wonder and imagination. I can’t wait to hear how you used this festive printable to add some leprechaun magic to your holiday.
To print your St. Patrick’s Day Leprechaun template, turn the printer on, click on either the colored version or black and white and then click print.
To prevent Copyright infringement, you will see our watermark inserted on all of our images. This will NOT be included in your download.
Please come back and share your stories in the comments. You can also easily share them on our Facebook page. We always love seeing our printable templates brought to life!