I’m really excited to share this new printable preschool art project with you! With this craft, you and your children can create your very own blue whales. It’s the perfect project for any little learners interested in exploring the ocean.
If your kids enjoy learning about the ocean as much as mine, you’ll definitely want to try some of these extra fun learning activities to do before or after you build your very own whale buddy with this adorable printable.
Also, see some fun facts to share as you and your kids make this easy and fun printable blue whale craft.
*By the way, this post may contain affiliate links which means I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you if an item is purchase through that link. For more information, click here.*
Easy DiY Blue Whale Craft for Kids with Free Template
Whale Theme Activities:
Here are some fun whale themed activities your child can enjoy with her new printable whale craft buddy:
1. Color sorting activity!
Give your preschooler a bucket or bag and have him go around the house finding “blue” objects to put in the bag for his blue whale friend. The ability to sort objects with like objects is an important skill for preschool learners to master.
3. Draw a Whale
Did you know blue whales are longer than 3 school buses? Use sidewalk chalk to draw a life size blue whale in your driveway. Compare your blue whale printable craft to the actual size version. Comparing objects is an important early math concept for kindergartners.
4. Letter W
Use your new whale friend to teach the letter W to your preschoolers.
5. Listen to Whale Songs
Did you know males can sing for 20 minutes straight? That’s a long time to sing! Whale songs carry over several miles in the water. Spending time listening to whale songs is a great relaxing activity.
Build critical thinking skills with your preschooler by asking her to tell you what she thinks the whale is saying in his song. With her new whale craft buddy, encourage your preschooler or toddler to come up with her own whale song and sing it together.
Keep scrolling to get your very own blue whale craft today and start exploring the ocean with your little ones and their paper whale buddies!
Whale Craft Supplies Needed:
- White Card Stock Paper
- Colored Pencils, Markers or Crayons
- Printable Whale Template (FOUND AT THE BOTTOM)
Fun Whale Facts:
My kids are fascinated by anything and everything under the sea, so creating their own paper whale crafts was a lot of fun! We made our whales as part of a unit study all about whales. Here are some things we learned:
– Did you know Beluga whales have teeth but never chew their food? It’s true! Belugas swallow their prey whole.
– Did you know Bow head whales can live for more than 200 years? That’s a really long time!
– Did you know Sperm whales were almost driven to extinction by commercial whaling before 1986? In 1986, the International Whaling Commission made it against the rules to hunt Sperm whales. However, their numbers are still low and they can be found on the endangered species list even now.
Whales are pretty cool mammals! Make your own cute blue whale with this fun printable paper craft and check out these cool blue whale fun facts:
– Did you know the blue whale is the largest animal to have ever lived on earth? Bigger than the dinosaurs!
– Did you know the blue whale’s tongue weighs as much as an elephant? That’s one big tongue!
– Even though they’re huge, blue whales eat tiny food. They eat tiny little shrimp called “krill.”
Blue Whale Craft Instructions:
After you’ve printed your whale template on your favorite color cardstock paper, go ahead and cut out the body parts or use the colors as instructed on the template
Another fun way to enjoy this ocean animal craft friend is to print the whale template on white paper and color him first. Then cut and glue him together.
Next, simply glue all the pieces together. This whale craft is so easy and perfect for kids of any age. My toddler and 6-year-old alike loved making him.
Free Printable Whale Template:
Don’t forget to share your ocean learning plans in the comments. Need more ocean fun? Check out the printable build a shark craft for more ocean themed simple craft fun with your little ones.
More Fun Ocean Animal Crafts